Jim Leyland will go down in history as one of the greatest managers of his gener - Nyomtatható verzió
Momentum Eger
Jim Leyland will go down in history as one of the greatest managers of his gener - Nyomtatható verzió

+- Momentum Eger (https://givangel.hu)
+-- Fórum: Momentum Eger (https://givangel.hu/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Fórum: Helyi ügyek (https://givangel.hu/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Téma: Jim Leyland will go down in history as one of the greatest managers of his gener (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Jim Leyland will go down in history as one of the greatest managers of his gener - seestyle - 08-09-2022

Jim Leyland will go down in history as one of the greatest managers of his generation. But he was also part of history as a player. Leyland was a catcher for the team that pitched two no-hitters in one day.It was unbelievable, it still is to this day. Its never happened before Bradley Pinion Jersey or since, Leyland said.MORE: | Leyland and the Tigers Cla s A Rocky Mount Leafs affiliate were in Greensboro, N.C.,on May 15, 1966, for a doubleheader against the Yankees farm club at War Memorial Stadium a nice ballpark Leyland said.Dick Drago didnt allow any hits in Rocky Mounts 5-0 win in Game 1. It was one of 14 complete games that year for Drago, who later pitched 13 seasons in the majors.Dragos roommate Darrell Clark predicted his own no-hitter before Game 2."While delivering congratulations between games, Clark jokingly told him (Drago), now I gue s I'll have to go out and pitch one too. " the 1967 Sporting News Baseball Guide reported.Thats exactly what Clark did, with the 21-year-old Leyland behind the plate.Joe Cernich caught the first game Adrian Colbert Jersey and I caught the second game. I caught Clark and he caught Drago, Leyland said, comfortably rattling off names and details from a half-century ago.Side note: 19-year-old Gene Lamont also caught for Rocky Mount in 1966, decades before he coached under Leyland in Pittsburgh and Detroit.Leyland and Clark found a rhythm in Game 2, holding Greensboro scorele s and hitle s through six innings. Suspense was building, but so was Rocky Mounts pre sure to score, as Game 2 was tied 0-0 after six innings.The Leafs brought in two runs in the top of the seventh inning on a wild pickoff throw by Greensboro and a suicide squeeze bunt by Leyland. Once they got the lead, Leafs players started counting down the outs. Three outs away two San Francisco 49ers Jersey outs away MORE: The second no-hitter was just one out away and light-hitting Greensboro outfielder Al Otto stepped into the batters box. He hit a lazy fly ball, Rocky Mounts left fielder made the catchand the Leafs celebrated a hitle s doubleheader.It was something special, it was unbelievable really, Leyland said. We played them the next day as well and I think we held them hitle Joshua Garnett Jersey s for the first four innings.Just like he did as a manager, Leyland deflects praise about his role in the Game 2 no-hitter. I wasnt a great defensive catcher by any means. I wasnt a very good player to be honest with you. I was all right, I could catch decent.We had a Tigers minor league reunion this year in spring training and both of the guys who pitched those games were there. It was kind of neat. We got to chat and we talked about the no-hitters of course, he said.Leylands .222 lifetime batting average kept Marquise Goodwin Jersey him from advancing past Double-A. So is the dominant doubleheader his top non-managing memory?It probably is. I didnt have many highlights in my playing career obviously, Leyland said with a laugh. So that would certainly be right up there. To be part of something like that is awful special. I saw it in some world book of records or something. It had that doubleheader in there. It was pretty neat to be involved. is the broadcaster for the Triple-A El Paso Chihuahuas, and is on Twitter at . He is also the author of"Root for the Home Team: Minor League Baseball's Most Off-the-Wall Team Names."